SCAN Vietnam meeting
Project: “CAPACITY STRENGTHENING ON SUSTAINABLE COFFEE PRODUCTION”
IMPLEMENTED BY SCAN – SPONSORED BY SECO
On 9th December 2014 in Buôn Ma Thuột city, Dak Lak, the SCAN meeting took place. The meeting was led by Mr. Bạch Thanh Tuấn, Director of the Community Development Center (CDC), in his role as Coordinator of the SCAN project in Vietnam.
A total of 24 people participated, representing the following organizations:
- National Agriculture Extension Center (NAEC)
- Vietnam Information Science Technology Asociation
- Crop and Planting, MARD
- Department of Agriculture and Rural Development of Daklak
- Institute of Highlands Science and Technology of Agriculture and Forestry (WASI)
- Faculty of Agriculture & Forestry , Tay Nguyen University
- SNV – Sustainable program
- Community Development Center (CDC)
- UTZ Certified Viet Nam
- 4C Association Viet Nam
- Mondelez International/ Taloca – Sustainable Coffee program in Asia
- Farmers’ Associaton, Buôn Ma Thuột city – Đăk Lăk
- Development of sustainable coffee project – Dakman Việt Nam Co., Ltd.
- Minh Toàn Lợi Cooperative
- Nedcoffee Vietnam Co., Ltd.
During the meeting, the Training materials that were developed on sustainable coffee production were reviewed and accepted as training materials. The planning of the project implementation was also approved for the first trimester of 2015.
The training materials reviewed include 6 modules:
- Module 1: New Planting, Replanting (recultivation) and Caring Techniques for a Coffee Plantation
- Module 2: Fertilizer for Mature Coffee Trees.
- Module 3: Watering for Mature Coffee Trees.
- Module 4: Pruning and Creating a Canopy for Robusta Coffee Trees.
- Module 5: Pests, Diseases and Control Measures for Coffee Trees.
- Module 6: Coffee Harvesting, Processing and Storage.
And the following Training Tools were also reviewed:
- Training material for trainers.
- Training material for producers.
- Flip Charts.
Some interesting comments on the training materials were:
Mr. Phan Huy Thông –National Agriculture Extension Center (NAEC); Mr. Phạm Văn Tám –UTZ Certified and Mr. Vũ Đình Khiêm –4C Association: ¨Highly appreciated the science (based on survey research results about the demand of coffee growers) and the usefulness of this material to sustainable coffee growers in Viet Nam¨.
Mr. Đỗ Ngọc Sỹ – Mr. Mr. Nguyễn Từ Hải –- Department of Crop and Planting – MARD:
¨The Department of Crop and Planting will introduce this training material to projects relating to sustainable coffee production of Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development of Viet Nam.
Mr. Hồ Văn Lợi –SNV:
¨Will inform units who are participating in SNV’s programs in the regions about the SCAN project where there is a demand for training SNV will directly contact CDC.
Mr. Vũ Đức Quân –Minh Toàn Lợi Coffee Cooperative:
Highly appreciated the easy understanding level of this training manual, and support of CDC to community of coffee growers.
Mr. Nguyễn Văn Nam –Institute of Biotechnology and Environment.
“To allow learners to comprehend the knowledge that teachers impart during the trainings, three factors need to be ensured: trainers, trainees and the teaching environment. This is one of the solutions for improving the training tools”.
Mr. Bạch Thanh Tuấn – Coordinator of the SCAN project in Viet Nam ended the meeting by saying:
With the purpose of “Working together towards the prosperity of the community”, SCAN and CDC hope to have the collaboration, support and companionship of all the partners in Viet Nam: Ministry of Agriculture & Rural Development, NAEC, Department of Agriculture & Rural Development in the provinces; research institutes and all the organizations and domestic and foreign companies/ NGOs in the programs of the SCAN project in Viet Nam. Thank you.